Spring has sprung, and with that comes this seasons colour trend - Pastels! These sugary hues are everywhere at the moment from runway fashion to interiors and even food. They are the perfect way to inject colour into a space in a subtle way, so you won't get sick of it in a hurry. Unlike those trends that are on the hot list for a maximum of 5 minutes, pastel colours have been around since the Renaissance (talk about a trend that keeps on trending).
Whether you offset gentle shades with crisp white, combine them with more vivid colours, go subtle with a touch of pastel style, or saturate your space with these irresistible hues, you're sure to have a winning interior! Not to be restricted to the nursery or kids' room, a pastel palette can look elegant and sophisticated even when used in a kitchen or living room.
Pillows, artwork, and accessories such as frames or vases are an easy way to test out a particular shade instead of having to commit to it in an entire room. Need some pastel inspo? We've rounded up our fave picks from our new 2016 Collection, featuring a trio of delicious pastel hues in Buttercup Yellow, Coral and Mint Green... They're so sweet you'll get a toothache!
All this talk of sugary sweet colours have you craving a cupcake (or 2)? Give these heavenly pastel frosted cupcakes a go, you can thank us later:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick/4 oz./113g) butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
Store-bought ready-made white frosting
Pink, blue and green food coloring
Pastel colored sprinkles, such as pink, blue, green and yellow
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Line 20 muffin tin cups with paper liners.
2) Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
3) Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup.
4) Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
5) Divide frosting into 3 or 4 medium bowls. Place a couple of drops of each food coloring into each bowl, stir well. Frost cupcakes. Use pastel sprinkles to decorate cupcakes.
Makes 20 Cupcakes.